Sunday, November 29, 2009

The agonies of running (My stupid brain!)

Ok, This may come as a shock but I'd like to be serious for a moment. I'm interested in hearing from other runners about the mental aspect of running. Admittedly, I find difficult to get out the door to run sometimes and my mind doesn't always help matters!

What got me thinking about this was Brendan Lunty`s guest column on Basil`s blog. Brendan mentioned how he loves to run:
- in the rain
- in the dark
- in the cold
- at the track
- in the city

There was more love going on than at a sixty`s hippy orgy!

Do not get me wrong, I do love running, just not how Brendan loves running. Am I alone?

So, my questions are these:

Do you find it easy to get out the door to do your training runs?

Do you experience mental ups and downs while you are on your training runs? During races?

Tell me the truth people! Tell me your experiences.




2 comments:

  1. I always run in the morning. When I used to train in the afternoon, I found it more difficult to get the runs in - there was always a reason not to. I find the pre-work run is much easier.

    The only 'down' I've felt during a race was during the RVM last month. When I finally realized/accepted that I wouldn't be making 3:10 and Boston, it was a tough push to get through the last two km or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark,
    Do I find it easy to go out the door - That depends on the weather - most of the time yes I love getting out running. Although sometimes I say forget it and skip the run. Like today I brought my stuff but I didn't really feel like running.

    All runners have Highs and Lows in races. but the thing is once you know its going to be hard, it makes getting out of a bad patch that much easier. I try to accept that I'm feeling bad and then try to maintain the pace I'm at, sometimes that bad patch works its way out and sometimes it doesn't.

    When it doesn't you can't dwell on it. As there is always another race.
    N

    ReplyDelete